Note: Presentation updated Feb. 2013 to reflect LinkedIn Profile changes and include Pinterest as a portfolio tool..
This new presentation was created in response to a graduate workshop I ran in collaboration with the Careers Department as part of their ‘Boost Your Confidence’ series of workshops. What attendees, who came from a range of disciplines, wanted to know was:
- how to manage a Public Facebook Profile
- how to use LinkedIn most effectively, and what should be included in a LinkedIn Profile
This will form the basis of future workshops, referring to my own public profiles as working examples. It is also timely as this recent article, ‘Why a traditional CV isn’t always enough‘ (29th May 2012) from the Guardian illustrates.
Here are some further resources you may find useful..
- See Plymouth University’s Social Media Strategy and further advice documents. (University log-in details required)
- ‘Facebook for Beginners‘ – A general guide to using Facebook from mashable.com
- Get Started with LinkedIn – a series of videos from LinkedIn’s Learning Centre specifically for students. Guides are available for Job Seekers, Entrepreneur and more professions.
- 10 Tips to a More Professional LinkedIn Profile – Useful tips from hongkiat.com
- 8 Creative Tips to Help You Maximise Your New LinkedIn Profile Page for 2013 – advice from Neal Shaffer, President of Social Media Strategy Consultancy Windmills Marketing
- ‘Learn LinkedIn: how to build your living resume‘ – Download this booklet for free from makeuseof.com
- ‘Blogging for Teaching & Learning’ – A SlideShare Presentation/ Tutorial, by the South African Department for Education, with helpful explanations and tips
Do you have any tips or links to resources that may be useful for recent graduates looking to develop their online presence?