Job Title: Learning Technologist (Faculty of Science and Technology)
Current projects: Available on my personal site
- E-learning, learning technologies and Web 2.0
- Perceptions of technology
- Accessibility and usability
- 3D software, immersive and interactive environments
- Interactive media
- Video, photography and fisheye lenses (360 degree photography)
- Audio electronics
- Mobile devices
- Open source
- Operating systems
- Computer construction and networks
- PgDip (Ed.), Plymouth University, 2012.
- CMALT (Certified Member of the Association of Learning Technologies), October 2011.
- SEDA Accredited Teacher in Higher Education, University of Plymouth, June 2006.
- PgCert in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (LTHE), University of Plymouth, March 2006.
- Ph.D. Chemistry (Analytical), University of Plymouth, 2000 (Abstract – Full thesis available via British Library)
- BSc (Hons) 2:1 in Chemistry (Analytical), University of Plymouth, 1997 (Industrial prize awarded for TEL honours project)
- HND Environmental Monitoring, Cornwall College, Cornwall, 1995.
- HND Business and Finance, Cornwall College, Cornwall, 1993.
- ND Business and Finance, Cornwall College, Cornwall, 1991.
Conference presentations and seminars
Truscott, J.B., ‘Developing technology enhanced, distance learning materials for the Hydrographic Academy‘, E-Book showcase: Meet the publishers, CSH Library (Plymouth University), 1000-1400 Thur 26 April 2012 (Invited presentation).
Truscott, J.B. & Scott, J.R., ‘All hands on deck: Developing technology-enhanced distance learning for the marine industry‘ The 7th Plymouth Enhanced Learning Conference (PELeCON) 18th-20th April 2012.
Griffiths, J.S., Mather, A.E., Truscott, J.B., & Hartley, A., Application of low-cost satellite imagery for reconnaissance mapping and terrain evaluation training: a case study of coastal landslides, Chile, The 11th IAEG Congress proceeding 2010 (Available from publisher).
FitzPatrick, M., Anderson, M., & Truscott, J., Using mobile devices to extend experiential learning and fieldwork practice in the Earth Sciences, Planet, 2010 (In press).
Watton, P. and Truscott, J.B., Labwork: enhancing student employability, EL CETL Publication, 2010 (In Preparation)
Truscott, J.B., Witt, N., Stokes, A., and Weaver, R., Unravelling student experiences with blogs and email (In preparation)
Watton, P. and Truscott, J.B., Fieldwork: enhancing student employability, EL CETL Publication, Feb 2008 CETL Report
Maskall, J., Stokes, A., Truscott, J.B., Bridge, A., Magnier, K., and Calderbank, V., Supporting fieldwork using information technology, Planet, 2007, No. 18, 18-21.
Planet No.18 article
Truscott, J.B., Boyle, A., Burkill, S., Libarkin, J., & Lonsdale, J., The concept of time: can it be fully realised and taught? Planet (Special Edition), 2006, No. 17, 21-23
Planet No. 17 article
Watton, P. and Truscott, J.B., Enhancing student employability & entrepreneurship through the environmental and natural sciences, EL CETL Publication, November 2006
Truscott, J.B., Mobile SMS and MMS as a means of data collection, Experiential Learning CETL publication, University of Plymouth, September 2006.
Watton, P., Pyne, T., Truscott, J.B. Work-Based Learning: the opening scene, Experiential Learning CETL publication, University of Plymouth, March 2006.
Rowland, S.J. and Truscott, J.B., A Template for Developing and Delivering CAL Applications for Visual Basic Users (CD-ROM), SEED Publication, University of Plymouth, 1999.
Part of the HE Academy – SEED project